19th Century Antique Victorian Large Sterling Silver Ewer London 1896 William Gibson & John Langman

£ 8,750.00

A spectacular quality and extremely fine large silver ewer.

Sold

Out of stock

 

Description

A spectacular quality and extremely fine large silver ewer designed with a lower matt finished body which has applied climbing foliage work for decorative contrast.  The foot is circular ornate pedestal formed and the floating handle is truly magnificent.

 

Weight:  78 troy ounces/2428 grams

Height:  14.25 inches/36cm

Length:  11 inches/28cm

Condition:  Excellent throughout

Price:  £8750

 

The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928).
The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.
In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers.  In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd.  The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908).  The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)

CHRONOLOGY
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co – 1880 – 1898
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd – from 1898
amalgamated with Garrard & Co – 1952