A very sweet oval shaped tea caddy decorated with intricate bright cut engraving to the body which is then sandwiched between two elegant bead borders. The lid has a desirable “flush” hinge and has additional bright cut decorative engraving.
Weight: 11.9 troy ounces/371 grams
Height: 4.25 inches/11cm
Length: 5 inches/12.5cm
Width: 3.2 inches/8cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
The firm was established in 1838 when Henry Holland (sr, born 1806) entered his first mark in London Goldsmiths’ Hall. Henry Holland entered in partnership with Thomas Frercks trading as Holland & Frercks at 13 Lower Smiths Street, Clerkenwell. Thomas Frercks retired in 1841 and Henry Holland (sr) continued the business on his own account. His elder son Henry Holland (jr. born 1830) obtained his freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company in 1851 and entered in the business with his father changing the firm’s name to Henry Holland & Son. In 1866 Henry Holland & Son bought the firm of Elizabeth Eaton & Son moving its premises to 16 Jewin Crescent, Aldersgate Street. Henry Holland (sr.) retired from the business c. 1880 and a new mark was entered by John Aldwinckle and James Slater, the firm’s name having been changed to Holland, Son & Slater. In 1883 also Henry Holland (jr.) retired from the business and the firm was renamed Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater, with Slater’s sons, Alfred Thomas Slater and Walter Brindley Slater, as additional partners. The firm developed its business purchasing Chawner & Co (occupying its premises at 18 Hosier Lane, Smithfield) in 1883 and Robert Hennel & Sons (86 Charlotte Street , Fitzroy Square) in 1887. James Slater retired in 1884 leaving Alfred Thomas Slater and John Aldwinckle as senior partners. John Aldwinckle died in 1894 and Henry Arthur Holland (son of Henry Holland jr.) became partner in the firm. In 1922 c. the firm was bought by Francis Higgins & Son Ltd and transferred in its premises (9 Newman Street, Oxford Street) where Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater continued to operate under its own name until 1932.