Early 20th Century Antique George V Sterling Silver Tea Caddy London 1911 Mappin & Webb

£ 675.00

A sweet looking oval gadroon border tea caddy with a upper band of fine intricate bright cut engraving for highlights.

Out of stock

A sweet looking oval gadroon border tea caddy with a upper band of fine intricate bright cut engraving for highlights.  The lid is hinged and crowned with a stylish finial.

 

Weight:  10 troy ounces/316 grams

Height:  4.5 inches/11.5cm

Length:  4.5 inches/11.5cm

Width:  3.25 inches/8.5cm

Condition:  Excellent throughout

Price:  £675

 

Mappin & Webb traces its origins to 1775, when Jonathan Mappin opened a silver workshop in Sheffield, then as now a major centre of the English silver trade. The business eventually became Mappin Brothers.[1]

One of Jonathan Mappin’s great grandsons, John Mappin, started his own business in London, Mappin & Company, in 1860, which became Mappin, Webb & Co. in 1862 after John Mappin was joined by his brother-in-law George Webb. The first Mappin & Webb store opened in 1860 at 77-78 Oxford Street, London and the company’s candelabras, fine silverware and vanity products swiftly gained renown. As a natural progression from silverware, Mappin & Webb began designing jewellery. Mappin, Webb & Co. acquired Mappin Brothers in 1903.

Mappin & Webb expanded internationally beginning in the 1890s. Its first overseas store was established in Johannesburg and stores soon followed in Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Biarritz, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Cairo and Bombay. However all international stores closed in the second half of the 20th century.[2]