Early 20th Century George V Antique Sterling Silver Large Gallery Tray Sheffield 1915 Mappin & Webb

£ 3,500.00

A very elegant large oval silver gallery tray with stylish incuse handles.

In stock

Qty

A very elegant large oval silver gallery tray with stylish incuse handles.  The tray is beautifully pierced and has a reed border for highlights.

 

Weight:  90 troy ounces/2800 grams

Length:  23.5 inches/59.5cm

Width:  16 inches/40cm

Condition:  Excellent throughout

Price:  £3500

 

Mappin & Webb traces its origins to 1775, when Jonathan Mappin opened a silver workshop in Sheffield, then as now a major centre of the English silver trade. The business eventually became Mappin Brothers.[1]

One of Jonathan Mappin’s great grandsons, John Mappin, started his own business in London, Mappin & Company, in 1860, which became Mappin, Webb & Co. in 1862 after John Mappin was joined by his brother-in-law George Webb. The first Mappin & Webb store opened in 1860 at 77-78 Oxford Street, London and the company’s candelabras, fine silverware and vanity products swiftly gained renown. As a natural progression from silverware, Mappin & Webb began designing jewellery. Mappin, Webb & Co. acquired Mappin Brothers in 1903.

Mappin & Webb expanded internationally beginning in the 1890s. Its first overseas store was established in Johannesburg and stores soon followed in Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Biarritz, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Cairo and Bombay. However all international stores closed in the second half of the 20th century.[2]