A very stylish mid-sized circular art deco silver rose bowl decorated with elegant strap work framed panels to the body of the bowl which then sits on a reed bordered raised pedestal foot.
Weight: 18.32 troy ounces/570 grams
Height: 4.75 inches/12cm
Diameter: 7.4 inches/19cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by George Walker. Becoming an assistant of Dr. John Wright who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by Henry Hall and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa). Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found.