A highly collectable Victorian circular domed bowl decorated with alternate rib work and engraved floral panelling. The upper rim has elegant applied floral motifs and is beautifully partial gilt for visual contrast.
Weight: 20.5 troy ounces/640 grams
Height: 3.1 inches/8cm
Diameter: 9 inches/23cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
Hunt & Roskell a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-22), Storr & Mortimer (1822-38), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-43) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-97). Hunt & Roskell had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until c.1965. Trade card in Heal Collection (Heal,67.383) advertises “Hunt & Roskell, Late Storr & Mortimer, Jewellers, Goldsmiths & Silversmiths to the Queen.