A very fine and incredibly collectable “Phillip Rundell” shaped circular cream jug. The body is decorated with an ornate shell galleried band below which sits a double contemporary crest and entwined initials. The inside of the bowl has been elegantly silver-gilt and the handle is decorative scroll design.
Weight: 11 troy ounces/345 grams
Height: 4.3 inches/11cm
Length: 6 inches/15cm
Width: 4 inches/10cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
Rundell was apprenticed, and went into the London goldsmith’s business Theed & Pickett. It became Pickett & Rundell in 1781. The firm had a major showroom at 32 Ludgate Hill, “at the sign of the Golden Salmon”, in the period around 1768 to 1785. They retailed goods made by others such as John Emes. They had manufacturing subsidiaries, one run by Benjamin Smith (and for some years Digby Scott) in Greenwich and another by Paul Storr in Dean Street.