An elegant pair of 18th century old Sheffield wine coolers with ornate floral decoration to the upper section of the body and stylish handles. The foot is square with a single band of additional decoration for lowlights. The inner buckets are removable.
Height: 12 inches/30..5cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by George Walker. Becoming an assistant of Dr. John Wright who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by Henry Hall and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa). Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found.