A spectacular quality and extremely fine large silver ewer designed with a lower matt finished body which has applied climbing foliage work for decorative contrast. The foot is circular ornate pedestal formed and the floating handle is truly magnificent.
Weight: 78 troy ounces/2428 grams
Height: 14.25 inches/36cm
Length: 11 inches/28cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928).
The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.
In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908). The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co – 1880 – 1898
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd – from 1898
amalgamated with Garrard & Co – 1952