An elegant and extremely early Mappin & Webb design (Edwardian style) Victorian claret jug made with a plain formed mount and a contrasting bulbous clear crystal bowl.
Height: 10 inches/25.5cm
Length: 6 inches/15.25cm (back of handle to front of spout)
Diameter: 5.5 inches/14cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
Mappin & Webb traces its origins to 1775, when Jonathan Mappin opened a silver workshop in Sheffield, then as now a major centre of the English silver trade. The business eventually became Mappin Brothers.One of Jonathan Mappin’s great grandsons, John Mappin, started his own business in London, Mappin & Company, in 1860, which became Mappin, Webb & Co. in 1862 after John Mappin was joined by his brother-in-law George Webb. The first Mappin & Webb store opened in 1860 at 77-78 Oxford Street, Londonand the company’s candelabras, fine silverwareand vanity products swiftly gained renown. As a natural progression from silverware, Mappin & Webb began designing jewellery. Mappin, Webb & Co. acquired Mappin Brothers in 1903. Mappin & Webb expanded internationally beginning in the 1890s. Its first overseas store was established in Johannesburgand stores soon followed in Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Biarritz, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Cairoand Bombay. However all international stores closed in the second half of the 20th century