A sweet set of six plain formed silver wine goblets sitting on a raised circular pedestal foot. The bowls of the goblets are centrally hallmarked for decoration.
Weight: 26.94 troy ounces/838 grams
Height: 4.5 inches/11.5cm
Diameter: 2.75 inches/7cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
Business established in Birmingham in 1801. The firm still possesses the original Boulton & Watt dies acquired during its early days of manufacturing. The business appears in an 1871 directory as Barker Brothers, silversmiths active in Paradise Street. In 1903 they moved to new factory premises, Unity Works, Constitution Hill, Birmingham, where it remained until the 1980s maintaining a London showroom during the early part of the 20th century. In 1907 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style Barker Brothers Silversmiths Ltd. Levi & Salaman Ltd and its subsidiary Potosi Silver Co were incorporated by Barker Brothers in 1921. In the 1960s, merging with Ellis & Co (Birmingham) Ltd, the firm changed to Barker Ellis Silver Co Ltd.
On January 2, 1979, the firm obtained a Federal registration in the USA for the trademarks Ellis & Co, Barker Ellis and Ellis Barker (the marks were cancelled in 1988). The company went into administration in 1992. The firm used the trade marks BRITANOID, UNITY PLATE and THE HYGENIA
Mary Barker, 1801
Barker & Creed
William & Matthias Barker, until 1885
Barker Brothers, 1886-1907
Barker Brothers Silversmiths Ltd, 1907 amalgamated with Levi & Salaman, 1921, acquired Ellis & Co (Birmingham) Ltd, 1931