A highly collectable silver four piece Art Deco teaset, octagonal in design with elegant hand engraving for highlights on the body. The lids of the tea and coffee pot are hinged and the handles are scroll form in design.
Weight: 53 troy ounces/1641 grams
Coffee pot: 8 inches/20cm
Teapot: 6.5 inches/16.25cm
Coffee Pot: 8 inches/20cm
Teapot: 10 inches/25cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
Mappin & Webb traces its origins to 1775, when Jonathan Mappin opened a silver workshop in Sheffield, then as now a major centre of the English silver trade. The business eventually became Mappin Brothers.
One of Jonathan Mappin’s great grandsons, John Mappin, started his own business in London, Mappin & Company, in 1860, which became Mappin, Webb & Co. in 1862 after John Mappin was joined by his brother-in-law George Webb. The first Mappin & Webb store opened in 1860 at 77-78 Oxford Street, London and the company’s candelabras, fine silverware and vanity products swiftly gained renown. As a natural progression from silverware, Mappin & Webb began designing jewellery. Mappin, Webb & Co. acquired Mappin Brothers in 1903.
Mappin & Webb expanded internationally beginning in the 1890s. Its first overseas store was established in Johannesburg and stores soon followed in Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Biarritz, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Cairo and Bombay. However all international stores closed in the second half of the 20th century.