A stylish set of eight plain formed octagonal Britannia silver salt cellars decorated with elegant armorials to their centre fronts.
Weight: 30 troy ounces/938 grams
Height: 1.5 inches/3.8cm
Diameter: 3.5 inches/9cm
Condition: Excellent throughout
The firm was established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800 and transferred in Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was active as manufacturing silversmiths and platers at 27 High Street (140-146 West Street from 1886).
After his death the business was continued under the same style by the founder’s son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton & Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843). William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton & Sons. A London showroom was opened in 1863 (13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and later 7 Farrington Road until 1918). In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturer silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became William Hutton & Sons Ltd. The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their crossed arrows marks. The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. That was due to lack of foresight by the Chairman of the Board of directors (information courtesy Michael Hutton). The firm was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.
William Hutton 1800-1818
Hutton & Houghton 1818-1820
William Hutton 1820-1864
William Hutton & Son 1864-c.1870
William Hutton & Sons c.1870-1893
William Hutton & Sons Ltd 1893- c.1930